Book: The Violence Continuum
What you will find in my new book, The Violence Continuum: Creating a Safe School Climate:
- Practical suggestions for ways to engage others in a safe school climate effort and how to develop and implement a plan
- How school climate and school culture are related yet different.
- A step-by-step guide to the violence continuum mapping activity that can be used with both adults and students.
- Examples of essential questions to help safe school climate committees, school staff, students, and parents define their common concerns and goals.
- The New Golden Rule of Empathy, which takes an expanded view of the Golden Rule.
- The historical mandate for public schools to teach more than academics.
- Supporting statistics, research, graphics, and stories incorporated throughout the book
- Discussion of the legal difference between bullying and harassment
- How experience with and the type of violence varies with factors such as poverty, athletic privilege, disabilities, and gender.
- Exploration of often overlooked female covert relational aggression.
- Cyber-bullying including tips for safely using social media.
- Strategies for embedding respect for diversity into all realms of school life, including curriculum and instruction.
- Specific suggestions for the prevention, early intervention, late intervention, and post-incident response phases of a comprehensive safe school climate plan.
- Bulleted lists of warning signs of bullying, characteristics of a toxic school climate, the cultural norms of a school, examples of teacher bullying, and desirable pro-social skills.
- A glossary of the forms of violence along the continuum experienced by children in schools.
- Examples of school climate assessment tools available.
- A walk-through of the action plan process.
- A fresh perspective on violence in schools and a belief that we can do something about it.
Leave a comment